Sunday, July 18, 2010

Seriously??

The other day, I was trying to brush what I thought was dirt off of my hands. Turns out, I'm pretty sure it's the beginning of age spots. SERIOUSLY?? I am not a fan. Plus, I've never been a sun goddess, since I only turn out looking like a tomato with hair when I try to get a tan. Seems so unfair.

To ease my mind, I started reading a great little book about Sabbath keeping by Lauren Winner titled Mudhouse Sabbath. It's a great quick read if you're looking for suggestions. She converted from Judaism to Christianity a few years ago and one chapter deals with the subject of aging. Apparently, according to the Jewish Midrash, it used to be that all adults looked the same - "no crows' feet, no flabby upper arms or thinning hairlines." However, Abraham and Isaac went out walking one day and no one passing by could determine which one they should offer reverence to for being the elder. No one knew to whom to ask their questions which required wisdom. So, Abraham decided to ask God for a marker to show people that he was eldest - thus, God offered him gray hair and age spots.

Initial thoughts...of course, it was a man that asked for such a thing! More mature moment - maybe I should be thankful for my gray hair (which I have named after a former student), the ever increasing line between my eyes, and these lovely new brown (well, maybe tan) circles on my hands.

Who am I kidding? Bring on the Clairol!

PS Pictures of the Boo at the beach and zoo coming - I promise!

No comments: