Tuesday, December 18, 2012

No words..

I have debated writing about the horror in Newtown, but it seems so hard to deny. Every time I sit down to do on the activities on our Advent calendar with the girls, I think about the mothers and fathers that had a list of fun for their children last weekend. Yet, they will never be able to complete them. When I tuck the girls into bed (again and again and again each night), I have done it with more patience since last Friday. When Audrey asks me to rub her back and sing her another song, I do it joyfully. The excitement of anticipating a child, birthing a baby, celebrating with your family and looking towards the future... all of that gone? It seems impossible to comprehend.

I have been a little more thoughtful about Advent and the Savior's arrival this year. The child who should have received such fanfare and accolade was born into a violent world with no room for him. In the darkness, his mother heard the cry and felt the light that awakened all of us. In all of our attempts to make this season more joyful, I am reminded that they are only glimpses of the ultimate joy of being in the presence of the One who gives us wholeness and peace.

So, for Newtown and for all of us, I am praying for this baby King to bring us peace and light in such a dark world.

From my one my favorite hymns "Oh, Come, Oh, Come Emmanuel"

"Oh, come, our Dayspring from on high,
And cheer us by your drawing nigh,
Disperse the gloomy clouds of night,
And death's dark shadows put to flight.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to you, O Israel!"

No comments: