I have gotten a lot of questions about cloth diapering recently, and I've been meaning to do a post about them for about a year so here it goes!
What kind do you use?
I use Bum Genius . I bought 12 to start with and that has been plenty. Mine are Velcro at the sides and they have snaps that adjust as the baby grows. I also bought a waterproof laundry bag that I throw in the wash with them each time.
Is it hard?
It is not hard to use cloth at all. The main difference is that, of course, you wash them and they are larger than a disposable, so I have had to use slightly larger sized clothes sometimes when they make Audrey's regular size too tight. However, as she's getting older, that's not quite as big of an issue. It is a bit of a pain when they are poopy, but you just dump it out in the toilet, spray it and move on. (Forgive me if that's TMI, but it is diaper talk!)
How about at night or when you travel?
This is where I'm not yet hardcore about cloth diapering. I know I could use cloth when we travel or at night, but when I'm out and about, I don't want to deal with them so I just throw a few disposables in my bag. Plus, if someone else is taking care of her (like church nursery workers), I don't want them to worry with it.
I still use a disposable at night. I do think they are a bit more comfortable for her, but I'm sure you could use a more absorbent liner and be fine.
How do you launder/dry them?
There are two parts to the diaper. A cloth liner and the diaper itself. You just pull the liner out and Velcro back the fastens. I used to store them in the washer with a bit of water, but that was a pain when I wanted to do a quick load of laundry, so now I just put them in my wet bag in the laundry room. I just use a dye free, fragrance free detergent. Sometimes, I put them in the dryer but they do take a while, so usually I put them outside to dry and throw them in the dryer for a bit to soften them up.
Is it like the kind our moms used?
No, it is much easier now. No pins and you don't have to worry about folding them into the right shape (of course, you can still buy that kind if you desire.)
So, if you're thinking about going with cloth, go for it! Once you make the initial investment, it's definitely more economical in the end.
No comments:
Post a Comment