Friday, January 8, 2010

Four Month Check Up

Audrey had her four month check up yesterday. I was slightly dreading it because I heard the shots were more painful than before, so David came along. We got the appointment at 11 AM because I thought she could have more time with her morning nap which might make her more pleasant. We actually changed practices because our old one constantly had at least an hour wait in the waiting room alone (not even counting waiting on the doctor once you're in the room) so I heard this new place was a bit better with that. Unfortunately, by being a new patient, flu season and the day before the 'snow storm on the century', it was quite crowded and we still didn't get to to see the doctor until noon. By that point, Little Bit had been awake for 2 hours and around here - that's her limit!
So, by the time the nurse weighed her and tried to talk to her, she started SCREAMING! I mean, full blown screaming, nose running, getting hoarse, pitching a fit SCREAMING. And, she didn't stop until we left.
The doctor actually thought there was something really wrong with her - her eye was pretty goopy and her nose has been clogged but it is just a cold and a blocked tear duct. She didn't really believe me when I said she was just tired- the doctor wanted me to try to feed her and and she would back to the room when I finished to give her the shots. Needless to say, I knew that wouldn't work and it didn't, so I just convinced her to go ahead with the shots and let us move on.
She ended up with meds for her clogged eye, some cradle cap cream, Benadryl for her congestion, Tylenol for a fever after the shots, and a few other various and sundry remedies. As soon as we put her in the carseat, she fell asleep. When we got home and David lifted her out to put her in the crib, she just opened her eyes and smiled at him - like it was a bad dream or something!
The doctor actually called this afternoon to check on her and make sure she was really okay. That's so funny to me - apparently, other babies don't quite have the same meltdowns due to lack of sleep as our diva does. Oh well - I love my sleep too!
You know, our dog Lucy has a "DANGER" stamp on her vet records to remind them she needs to be muzzled there because she gets so freaked out. Hope our daughter doesn't get the same treatment....

Here are her stats:
weight: 15 lbs., 11 ozs. (90% - healthy girl!!)
Height: 25 inches (75%)

1 comment:

Jackie Mc said...

I know the doctor visit was not fun for you but the way you wrote it made me smile . Looking forward to holding her one day .