Monday, October 20, 2014

Baby Needs...Help or Hype?

I decided to compile a list of baby items that we have loved to help me remember for friends that ask and to remember what to give for expectant parents in the future. These are a few of our favorites:

1) Snap and Go Stroller
I have several strollers, but this one has been the best during the infant car seat stage. I love being able to snap the car seat so easily and go. It's especially helpful when you have more than one child to get around.

2) Contigo straw cups
These are cups more for the 3-5 age range, but we just discovered them and love them! No more leaky sippy cups. We found 3 for $20 at Costco which is the best deal I've seen. A little pricey but worth it!

3) Bum Genuis diapers
If you are going the cloth diaper route, these are the ones we have loved. For disposables, I would say Luvs for a medium price range, Pampers if you can afford them. Target is good for a generic, but don't waste your money on CVS, Walgreens or Wal Mart brands.

3) Diaper sprayer
Invest in one if you are going with cloth diapers. You will need it.

4) Baby swing
We have gone through several of these, but they were crucial in the early days! All of mine spent many hours, day and night in these. If you have a new baby and this is the only place they will sleep, use it and don't feel guilty. They grow out of it eventually.

5) Pack 'n Play
We've used the same Graco one for all three kids and loved them. It's coming in especially handy to contain Andrew when I have to leave the room for a while these days, and teaches him to entertain himself a bit sometimes.

6) Avent bottles
We love this brand. Remember, that the nipple size can change, so keep increasing it as your baby can keep up. I always get stuck on number 2 and it takes forever for them to take the whole bottle, then I remember to move up to size 3, and it's so much faster!

7) Miracle Blanket
Maybe I should've listed this one first. Love this for the early days. Best blanket ever until they can break out of swaddle!

8) Sound Machine
Turn it up loud and often. It keeps the baby comfortable and allows you to not have to tiptoe around while he/she is sleeping. I still use one for all of my kids (and yes, they can still go to sleep when it's not on.)

9) Ergo carrier
I've had a Baby Bjorn with my first, but a friend passed down her Ergo carrier for the third, and it is a huge difference. There is so much more support.

10) Humidifier
Invest in one and Vicks Baby Vapo Rub. They will need it.

11) First Aid/Meds
Simple white baby clippers for fingernails, Desitin for bottoms, Infant Tylenol drops, baby saline - keep all on hand. One tip a friend gave me is to clip nails while baby is nursing and on nursing pillow which frees up both your hands. So helpful.

12) My Breast Friend nursing pillow - I know some people swear by the Boppy pillow, but I really prefer this one. Love the clasp and much easier to keep the baby on it.

A few things that we never really used....

1) Boppy pillow - really just used it to prop up baby before she/he could sit

2) Bumbo seat - again, a very brief stage where you will need this. Borrow one or buy secondhand.

3) Wipes warmer - no time for that.

4) Walker/jumpy seat

5) Fancy baby food makers - just steam it in regular pots/pans and puree with your blender, freeze in ice cube trays. The period for baby food is so brief, it's really unnecessary to spend much money here.

Hope these are helpful tips! Enjoy your baby!

No comments: