Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Thanksgiving Adventures, Part 3

 Our gathering on Friday was at Aunt Lois' retirement community, in their community room. Aunt Lois isn't really up to traveling anymore, so I was thankful that we could come to her. On this particular day, she wasn't particularly able to speak much so I figured the best thing is just to sing. Audrey was happy to perform some songs for the lady that she prays for nightly, so we sang our best versions of "Deep and Wide", "This Little Light of Mine" and "Jingle Bells".
 Aunt Lois has always had a heart for children, and though she never had any biological children, there are many that see her as a mother. In fact, I'm pretty sure that she probably taught a lot of other children these familiar songs.
 Though she couldn't speak much that day, I hope that she knows how much she is loved. Some of my best childhood memories were at her house: cooking fried chicken for lunch (always with biscuits AND cornbread) in a silver bowl, shopping at Belk's, eating salt-covered watermelon under the big tree out back, and feeding the cats under the shed. She hosted a huge family Christmas gathering for years, and I remember loving all of the stories that were told in that house.
I think it's important for children to know that they are part of a larger story in this world, that they have family that have gone before them and prepared a way for them. I am thankful for Aunt Lois and the beautiful example of godly mothering that she represents to all of us.

Carole, Betty, Mimi (Kathy), and Martha

time for games

Daddy and Audrey
It was a year to be thankful for family.

No comments: