Thanks to Grandmother and Granddaddy, David and I were able to get away to St. S1mons for a few days right after his dissertation defense on Memorial Day. The first day we started off at the beach, but by day two, David felt we needed a little more adventure in our lives. So...we decided to rent some bikes. I know, I know - it doesn't sound too wild, but for two people who haven't been on a bike in about 15 years, it seemed a little daunting at first.
However, it is true that once you learn, it comes back to you, so we had a great time going around St. S1mons for about an hour or so. Once we finished that and a great lunch at Southern S0ul Barbeque (you should go there if you are in St. S1mons), we decided to kayak.
When I texted my friend Megan to tell her that we were about to go on a three hour tour up a creek in a kayak, she texted back, "Who are you and what did you do with Lauren?" A valid question. I should have known when we started out with our very laid back tour guide Brim (yes, Brim), that he and I might have different ideas on the value of a plan of attack while kayaking, particularly when a storm starts to brew about an hour and a half into it. It didn't help that one of our fellow adventurers decided to tip out of her kayak about three times. Or, that I decided that David and I should use a tandem kayak. It seemed so sweet to me, working together and all. What I didn't know is that it is much harder to steer and brake and generally requires more calm conversation than I was wanting to have while on choppy ocean water with thunder in the background. But, I digress...
Here are the kayaks..the red one is our blessed vehicle.
Captain, my captain
Yes, I know the hat is crazy but it was hot. Well, hot in the beginning before the storm of the century!! (Really, it was a few drops, wind and thunder in the end, but still.)
Happy marriage
Um, no pictures from the end of our trip. I was so happy to get off on that sandy shore and to our car in one piece that I completely forgot to commemorate our victorious return.
No comments:
Post a Comment