One challenge in Memphis has been finding a preschool that fits our schedule right now. All of them offer programs from 9:30-2:30, which is a long day for these two little ones! They attempt naps there, but when we have tried that, I end up picking up two cranky girls who are in challenging moods for the rest of the day. This year, we decided to try something new. Combined with our scheduled activities between Bible study, MOPS, storytime and play dates, we are attempting some "home school" like lessons. I use that term loosely because I am trying to keep things fun and appropriate for their ages while not pushing them or myself too hard.
Most mornings, we start out with the calendar and some Bible reading time. We are memorizing a new Bible verse each week, and Audrey has really caught onto that idea. It's good for Mommy too!
Here's K with her Bible lesson.
This week, we started out with the letter A and an apple unit. I'm trying to emphasize colors and shapes with Kathryn while doing some letter and word work with Audrey. They both love the read alouds and songs/poems that we have. Audrey asks me every day when I am going to teach her to read. She assumes that it will happen immediately!
I loved getting our supplies organized. Makes me feel like I am back at work (the fun part of teaching.)
Love a lesson plan book! I found a great Mailbox anthology of weekly themes and ideas and combined that with a program from a blog, "Confessi0ns of a Homescho0ler." Both of the girls have really enjoyed the cut and paste activities that we found there.
We also have "center time." Audrey was hilarious on the first day. She wanted to know if her baby dolls could attend school if they were quiet. Then, when I told her that it was center time, she walked to the kitchen and said, "Oh, wow, this kitchen is just like mine at home!" She was seriously surprised that all of our centers were the same! That girl cracks me up.
Lots of book choices, baby dress up, puzzles, etc.
We are going to have to get some blue in our playroom by the time this boy comes along!
Calico Critters time
Kathryn cooking
Crafting - this girl loves a paintbrush and a glue stick - she cries every time we are done!
Some apple crafting
On most days, we have another activity by 10:00 or so, but since we are up and going by 8 every day, it still gives us a couple of hours together. Right now, we have storytime on Mondays, Bible study on Tuesdays, a standing play date on Wednesday, and MOPS every other Thursday. I try to keep Fridays open and get some cleaning done so Saturdays can be our family fun days. So far, it seems to be working out!
No comments:
Post a Comment