Monday, November 16, 2009

Domestic Goddess????

I just need to share my afternoon adventure. After putting a chicken on my stove to boil this afternoon for chicken and egg noodles tonight, I decided I needed to vacuum and mop my kitchen - mostly because it needed it, but also because this morning at 6:30 AM when I went downstairs with Audrey in a half asleep stumble, I dropped a measuring cup on the floor and the handle shattered into a million tiny pieces. I was too asleep to care, so this afternoon I set about gathering them up. So, I plug in the vacuum in the outlet that is quite close to my gas stove. I have the thought, "I need to be careful and make sure I don't tip the whole chicken pot over while I do this." Brilliant.

So, I go about my vacuuming and decide to stretch it on into my foyer and go over a little carpet runner that we have in there. There have been several strings coming loose on the corners lately, so of course, I snag the edge of one and it runs all into the vacuum cleaner. So, I let loose a not nice word and unstring it for 20 minutes. I decide to finish it up and catch yet another one in the other corner. Seriously...

But, the whole time, I'm thinking "there is a weird smell going on," but I decide that it's probably just the chicken. (I've cooked chickens about 35 times, so I'm not sure why I thought that, but hindsight...) I go to unplug the vacuum after my unwinding and discover the culprit of the smell. THE CORD TO THE VACUUM CLEANER which is burning on my gas stove!! HELLLLLOOOOOO!!!

Thank the good Lord it didn't burn our whole house down and make it all the way to the wires. So, what am I getting for Christmas? A new vacuum cleaner. If you know of a good one, leave me an idea. And, in the meantime, I'm going to stop vacuuming near live fire.

No comments: